November 22, 2019 – President’s Message
- Thanksgiving Note from the President
- Thank You to Our Community
- Membership Renewal Time is Here
- Holiday Luncheon & YOTO Recognition on Dec. 9
- YOTO Holiday Blanket & Gift Bag Drive
- Fashion Show Tickets on Sale Starting Dec. 9
- Ladies Night Out Recap
- Members Corner: Shout of Thanks to Membership Volunteers; Spotlight on Carin Kaiser
- Community Connections: Homeless & Hospitalized Veterans Needs
- Upcoming Programs & Events – Save These Dates
A Thanksgiving Note… to You from Me
“If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.” -W. Clement Stone
It is the best of good fortunes to serve as your President. During the past eighteen months, I have enjoyed meeting you, listening to your ideas and concerns, and sharing countless blessings. I am thankful for every moment. TWOQC provides plenty of motivation and an abundance of sunshine and smiles!
As your 2020 Past President, I will be around to continue the course, to help us move forward in new directions. TWOQC is an outstanding organization. During 15 years of giving, we have received many accolades for impacting the lives of others. We are a conduit for connecting, advocating, supporting, empowering, and investing. Our work strengthens individuals and groups. It ensures a better future. Thank you for sharing in this effort. Happy Thanksgiving!”
2018-2019 TWOQC President
Thank You to Our Community
Over the years, TWOQC has received immeasurable support from the Quail Creek community. We are many times thankful for the unconditional kindnesses and favors extended to us.
If I have overlooked a kindness, please let me know. I want to acknowledge you in a future message. Be assured we appreciate everyone in our community who shares their good fortune with others who need it most.
Membership Renewal Time is Here!
Your membership is important to TWOQC, and we’re all looking forward to a fabulous 2020 year of interesting and fun activities! Have a peek at a few of the programs planned for 2020 and the reason to renew now. (Calendar)
- Reid Park Zoo animal handler & zoo pals—Jan. 27
- Fabulous Fashion Show Luncheon for Cancer Research—Feb. 18
- Field Trip: Reid Park Zoo—March 30
- 2020 Scholarship Award Presentations: Meet the Women of Commitment and Action—April 27
- Maddy Paschal & Honor Flight—May 18
- High Tea—June 20
You can renew at the Holiday Luncheon on December 9. Bring a check for $25 payable to TWOQC or cash. Look for our membership renewal table. You can also drop off your check or mail it to Becky Ashin, 543 N. Hale Drive. MEMBERSHIP (page)
Our members have contributed time, energy, and gifts to make this the best group of women in Green Valley evidenced by recent awards and recognition. We can look forward to another year filled with purpose and fun.
December 9 Holiday Luncheon & YOTO Recognition
TWOQC will host the Mariachi Aztlan Monday, December 9, in the Madera Ballroom. Tickets are going fast so purchase yours by November 30, $20 for members and $25 for first-time guests. To reserve your seat(s) contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, if you choose: ONLINE RESERVATION FORM.
Enjoy a special Holiday drink from the cash bar that opens at 11. Purchase raffle tickets for a chance to win one of these gorgeous holiday centerpieces.
The ballroom doors will open at 11:30, followed by a short business meeting, including the election of officers for 2020. A delicious lunch of Chicken Piccata with Rice Pilaf and a vegetable side will be served. The first of two raffle drawings will take place while you are enjoying a fabulous vanilla sundae.
Then, enjoy the much-anticipated performance of nationally recognized Mariachi Aztlan de Pueblo High School. They will officially kick off our holiday season.
YOTO Holiday Blanket & Gift Bag Drive
Don’t forget the annual YOTO Holiday Bag and Blanket Drive for the Youth On Their Own students. You have the opportunity to make a significant difference for a student. Consider assembling a gift with a friend. Help YOTO students know TWOQC is committed to their future. Contact Sue Ann Obremski to obtain a card of your choice (email@example.com). Bring your YOTO Gift Bags to the Dec. 9 Holiday Luncheon in the Madera Ballroom.
YOTO Gift Information: There are two types of cards; green greeting cards are for gifting Middle School students. Specific information is included for creating a Holiday Day Gift Bag of a blanket, gift card, and miscellaneous presents. Red greeting cards contain instructions for gifting High School students. Blankets and gift cards are requested for them. Read more: FLYER
Thank you all for your support.
Fashion Show Tickets on Sale Starting Dec. 9
The annual fashion show to raise funds for cancer research will take place on Tuesday, February 18. Tickets at $30 each will go on sale before the holiday lunch on December 9. If you wish to sit with friends, please bring the list of names and their payment all at one time. Cash or check payable to TWOQC Charity Account.
We will also be selling Share the Pot raffle tickets that morning. The American Cancer Society will get 60% of all raffle ticket sale proceeds, and two lucky winners will each get 20%.
- Tickets are 6 for $5, 14 for $10, and 30 for $20.
- You can buy and pay for your tickets at the Holiday Luncheon and take them home to put on your address labels and phone number—the Avery 5195 tickets are a good size for this, (or you can write your name/phone number on the ticket.)
- You may turn your tickets in at a future event.
- You do not have to be present at the Fashion Show luncheon to be a winner in the Share the Pot raffle.
Ladies Night Out
The Women of Quail Creek spent a great evening Monday, November 11, experiencing all things TRAVEL! Members paid recognition to the service and sacrifices of our veterans and held a brief business meeting. Kathe Alves, Program Chair, explained the Passport Game that entered each attendee into a great raffle – and then the ladies were treated to a fashion show by REI with four models from the Scholarship Committee. Jeri Collins drew a big crowd demonstrating how to pack lightly and travel the world with less.
There were beer and wine cash bars with bar mix and everyone enjoyed the colorful, informational and fun evening with friends. Click HERE for vendor information. PHOTO GALLERY features pictures taken by Eileen Sykora, club photographer.
A Shout of Thanks to Our Membership Volunteers
A special thank you to the wonderful Membership Volunteers that coordinated membership renewal and name tag distribution at the November 11 event. Jane Brust was especially helpful in ensuring everything was set up and coordinating the volunteers along with assistance from Peggy Mykins. They were invaluable since both Becky & Barb were out of town. Deka Peters, Mary Smith, Patty Zatkin, Joanne Nash, and Janice Messer completed this fabulous group of Membership Volunteers!
Member Spotlight: Carin Kaiser
Carin was born and raised in Madison, Wisconsin, and is the eldest of seven children. At home there was never a dull moment, so Carin was eager to go away to college. She attended the University of Wisconsin in Whitewater.
Carin left college to marry her first husband and to start a family in Madison. After five years, she returned to college to complete her BS in Business and began graduate study. Her career dream was to become a Human Resources (HR) manager, and Carin was fortunate to fulfill that dream, which ultimately led to managing the Talent Acquisition Department for Kraft Foods.
Carin left Kraft in 2008 after 32 years, and in 2009 joined Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU) in Chicago. In 2009, she met Elliott Jones. Carin retired in 2014, looking forward to another dream of hers to live in Arizona with Elliott. After nine years together, the couple got married in February 2018. Between them, they are a large happy family of eight children, 11 grandchildren, four daughters-in-law, and one son-in-law.
Carin and Elliott spent their first season in Green Valley in January 2015 and became full-time residents in 2017, finally moving to Quail Creek in March 2018. The couple loves living in Quail Creek. Elliott is the unit leader for Unit 17, and Carin joined TWOQC in the summer of 2018. She has enjoyed being on the committees for the Honor Flight, VA Homeless Drive, and YOTO.
Carin looks forward to enjoying the amenities of Quail Creek and being an active member of TWOQC. PREVIOUS MEMBER SPOTLIGHTS
Connecting With Our Community
Homeless & Hospitalized Veterans Needs
Thanks to all who brought donations for the homeless and hospitalized veterans to the meeting on Veterans Day. Everything has been delivered to the VA hospital thanks to the efforts of Laura Colbert.
SAVE THESE DATES!
(♦) public event
- Dec. 9 – 12:00pm (doors open: 11:30)→Holiday Luncheon: Musical entertainment by Aztlán Mariachi de Pueblo High School RESERVATIONS
Coming in 2020:
- (♦) Jan. 20 – 7pm→Lecture Series: How We Survived Prohibition (Lisa S. Heidinger, AZ Humanities)
- Jan. 27 – 10am→Reid Park Zoo: Animal Handler, Zeb
- (♦) Feb. 13 – 7pm→Lecture Series: Crocodiles, Stingrays, and Bats, Oh My: Eocene Era Fossils by Kemmerer, WY (Jerome Montgomery, Geologist)
- (♦) Feb. 18 – 11:30am→Relay For Life – Fashion Show & Luncheon (10 am: doors open; silent auction & raffles available)
- (♦) Mar. 16 – 7pm→Lecture Series: 500-Miles in 34-Days: One Woman’s Camino de Santiago Journey
- Mar. 30 – (time: TBA)→Field Trip: Reid Park Zoo
- (♦) Apr. 27 – 6:30pm→Scholarships Presentation
- May 16 →Military Baby Shower (attended by the MBS committee)
- May 18 – (time: TBA)→Program: TBA
- June 20 – (time: TBA)→High Tea
- July 27 – (time: TBA)→Program: TBA
- Aug. 24 – (time: TBA)→Program: TBA
- Sept. 28 – (time: TBA)→Program: TBA
- Oct. 26 – (time: TBA)→Membership Gathering
- Nov. 16 – (time: TBA)→Program: TBA
- Dec. 14 – (time: TBA)→Holiday Luncheon
- Check the Online Calendar for general & committee meetings, events reservation dates, ticket selling dates, & other deadlines (as they become available)
- Programs & Events (topics, dates, & times) are subject to change. Topic details will be posted as the information becomes available.
- Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
FMM CONTRIBUTORS: Kathe Alves (programs), Becky Ashin (membership), Yasmin John-Thorpe (member spotlight), Peggy McGee (community relations), Sue Obremski (YOTO). PUBLISHING TEAM: President, 1st Vice President, and Webmaster.