TWOQC will be laying a wreath during the Memorial Day service that begins at 9 a.m. on Monday, May 30 (the official date for Memorial Day) at the Green Valley Mortuary and Cemetery, 18751 S La Canada Drive.
- All are invited to the cemetery to pay respects to those veterans who have gone before us.
- It is recommended that you bring a lawn chair in case they run out of chairs.
- This event is hosted by American Legion Post 66.
- They will be serving refreshments afterward at the post, 1560 W. Duval Mine Road.
May 23 Program
Here are the lucky door prize winners, (left to right):
Nancy Wilson, Gail Scheibner, Cathy Recinon, Kathy Black – with four of the beautiful vocalists from the Tucson Girl’s Chorus.
Nancy Wilson will be selling tickets for the June luncheon, “A Russian Adventure” with The Arizona Balalaika Quartet performing under the direction of Mia Bulgarin Gay, in the lobby of the Madera Clubhouse on Monday, June 13 from 11:00 a.m. to noon.
- Tickets are $20 each and are non-refundable.
- The bar opens at 11:30 and luncheon will begin at 12:30.
- Make your plans and have a printed list of all ladies you are buying tickets for – only ten seats at a table please! This will make it so much easier for Nancy.
Read Me A Story – Baby Shower
- The 2016 baby shower is now less than 1 month away and the planning committee is in full swing. We are busy collecting donations (thank you, everyone!) and the shopping, packing and decorating will soon begin!
- The last baby bottle pass occurred at the May 23 monthly program and we were once again surprised and blessed with another $125 in cash for the baby shower. Our Women of Quail Creek never cease to amaze.
- Donations of baby wash, Q-tips, wipes and pacifiers are still needed if you are passing the baby section and just cannot resist. Our donation boxes will be at the Madera Clubhouse and the Rodgers’ front porch (2640 E Sawyer Road) until June 15!
- Please do not leave donations for the shower at Peggy McGee’s house.
Clothing & Toiletries for Homeless Veterans
Wow! What a great response to our request for summer weight clothing for the homeless veterans plus all the toiletries, greeting and note cards, and wrapping paper. Peggy delivered to the VA on May 24:
- a car seat
- 20 large bags of summer clothing
- shoes, socks and underwear
- 19.2 lbs. toiletries
- 20.4 lbs. of cards, calendars, and wrapping paper
Our latest thank you from the VA from our May meeting is on the website. [THANK YOU NOTE]
Photos from the May 23rd Honor Flight return from D.C. can be found on the Photos & Videos page online. Kay Robinson took Dick K. and his wife from Green Valley. His guardian had all the veterans sign a square on a quilt to hang at U of A ROTC wall (guardians were U of A students). Kathy Mansur, So. Arizona honor flight coordinator, was given patriotic quilts to give the vets but didn’t have one for everyone, so Kay will be making one for Dick. (Thank you, Kay!)
The motorcycles are from the Patriot Guard Riders who stand flag line.
Aprons For YOTO
If you still want an apron for a Father’s Day or graduation gift, please contact Peggy at email@example.com.
- Only navy with a red quail and one red with a black quail remain to be purchased.
- Aprons are $18 each or 2 for $35.
- Once the aprons are all sold, we will be able to make our donation to Youth on Their Own, a program geared to encouraging homeless teens to stay in school.
All proceeds will go to students in the Sahuarita and Walden Grove high schools. A monthly student living expense of up to $140 provides a safety net to help them manage daily needs. To be eligible to receive living expense support, students must have passing grades in all classes and meet school attendance requirements. [Learn more: YOTO]
In an effort to have publicity photos (and for historical purposes), if you are involved in a selling or fundraising event and would ask someone to use your smartphone to take a few group or solo pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.
When doing so, please ask the photo-taker to get the event table/items in the photo as well. Email photos to MscArbonne@yahoo.com. Thank you! “It takes a village!”
Upcoming Events For Your Calendar
♥ July 25 – 6:30 p.m. – Passionate for Coffee: Roasting Beans for the Perfect Cup of Coffee presented by Anna Perreira, Yellow Brick Coffee.
♥ August 29 – 6:30 p.m. – Why Spiralize? Discover the Tips, Tricks & Taboos of Spiralizing! Presenter: Randy Wade from Cooking A-Z by, Tumacookery (Tubac, AZ).