June 17, 2021
Click a link to jump to a section:
- Message from the President
- TWOQC Charitable Activities
- Future TWOQC Fundraising & Giving
- Funding & Giving Committee
- Support for Scholarship Means a Lot!
Next edition: July 15
There has been a tremendous amount of activity going on with TWOQC. Exciting programs, new committees, and lots of planning for the rest of 2021 and for 2022. As you’ve probably realized, it has been very difficult to ensure our members are well informed.
GroupWorks has become invaluable as a communication tool for announcing our Small Group activities and programs. These events are a great way to meet new friends! We also want to invite you, our members, to join us for our monthly Board meetings. They are held the 2nd Friday of each month, 10:00am – 12:00pm in the Kino Conference Room in the Kino Center. Also, beginning this month we will be sending the previous month’s Board minutes through GroupWorks after they have been approved by the Board. We hope you take advantage of these avenues of communication.
TWOQC CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES
The Military Baby Shower (MBS) was held on May 15, 2021. Thank you to everyone who participated by donating money, items and time. This has been a wonderful event sponsored by TWOQC; however, the majority of our membership has repeatedly told us through surveys that they would like to support giving around Sahuarita and Green Valley and to other organizations. In listening to the majority of the membership, it was decided to now retire the MBS Committee. The total amount of expenses for the 2021 MBS event was $15,134.50. There is a zero balance in this account.
TWOQC donated $15,010 to YOTO from July 2020 to June 11, 2021. This includes a $11,000 donation given in November since we were unable to have the Holiday Gift Bag drive in December. The balance of the funds was used for a variety of miscellaneous items such as socks and supplies for the market. We are hopeful the gift bags can be revived in December 2021. However, this will depend again on whether the middle school students are back under YOTO rather than Social Services. If not, the Funding & Giving Committee will determine if YOTO has other needs that might fit in with their plans. All monies in the YOTO charity account have been distributed to the YOTO organization.
FUTURE TWOQC FUNDRAISING & GIVING
All future fundraising will be under the direction of the Funding & Giving Committee. There will no longer be individual committees for fundraising and planning giving activities under our new structure. The Funding & Giving Committee will make recommendations to the Board on fundraising and recipients of charitable gifts based on proposals and needs assessments. Our future giving will be distributed through the following three (3) distinctions:
1. TWOQC Designated Endeavor – Scholarships for High School student and Women Returning to School – $15,000 designated each year. TWOQC fundraising event monies will fund the Scholarship endeavor first. Once the goal of $15,000 is raised, additional monies will be designated for #’s 2 & 3 below. Donations In Memoriam will be accepted for additional special scholarships. These donations would be in addition to the $15,000 commitment.
2. TWOQC Projects – Each year the Funding and Giving Committee will review ideas for projects and make recommendations to the Board. At the December board meeting, the Funding and Giving Committee will present their plan for the next year. Examples are as follow:
- Clothing and small appliance drive
- Food Drive for GV & Sahuarita Food Banks
- YOTO – Holiday Gift Bags or Back to School Drive
- Teachers’ Supply Shower
- Honor Flight letter writing
3. TWOQC Charitable Giving – The Funding & Giving Committee will solicit needs assessments from potential charitable donations. The Committee will make recommendations to the Board on which charities TWOQC should support. Monies and or items will be donated depending on needs of the charities that are chosen.
- Hold 2 large fundraising events – a Fashion Show and Fun Seasonal Event with auctions, baskets, split the pot, etc.
- Conduct one Giving Day each year
- Hold collections of items for special drives
FUNDING & GIVING COMMITTEE
This committee has been very active and making lots of plans. They are planning a Javelina Hoedown for October 9. Lots more information will be coming soon. They are seriously looking into TWOQC becoming a 501(c)(3). We have wonderful new members on this Committee who are very experienced with this. More to come soon. If you are interested in serving on this Committee or helping out with events, please contact Nancy Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org (6/17, 3PM – corrected email address).
The Program Committee continues to create many new small group and large group activities. Our first large group event is July 26 at 6:30. Genealogy expert Deborah Kabinier will be presenting. We are also in the planning stages of our Membership and Holiday Luncheons.
Register for an event or get on the Waitlist and be first in line for the next one. Login to GroupWorks to sign up!
We still need many volunteers to help with events, leading/teaching small group programs, fundraising, or decorating. These can be one time or once a month, whatever fits into your schedule. We encourage you to get involved if you have a passion for fun and service and making new friends. Online Volunteer Form
SUPPORT FOR SCHOLARSHIP MEANS A LOT!
Thanks to TWOQC funding, and financial support from many in our community, there are 10 young women registering for fall classes at colleges and universities this summer, with a few already taking summer session courses. They include Sahuarita and Walden Grove high school graduates, and women returning to school to complete or further their education.
These women are very grateful and excited about the opportunity our scholarship awards help to provide for them. If you haven’t already watched the video that introduces this year’s scholarship awardees, access the link to it on the TWOQC website homepage. In the Sidebar (right margin), scroll down to look for “2021 Scholarship Recipients”, click/tap Photo Gallery in that section, then access the April 26th link to view the video.
Contributors, this edition: Becky A. (president’s message) ∴ Marianne C. (e-News design & delivery) ∴ Nancy Jacobs/Judy White (scholarships) ∴ Sharon P. (programs). Publishing Team: President ∴ Webmaster ∴ Publicity.