Sept. 26 at 6:30 p.m. · Madera Clubhouse Ballroom
Dr. Manuel Valenzuela, Superintendent of the Sahuarita Unified School District (SUSD), now in his seventh year as district Superintendent, oversees the education of 6,300 students in the rapidly growing K-12 district.
Dr. Valenzuela’s talk on September 26 will focus on issues and solutions in the on-going struggle to provide the students in the Sahuarita Unified School District with the best skills for success. He will talk about emerging issues and provide details about local challenges.
In addition to Dr. Valenzuela’s talk, TWOQC will be entertained by the Walden Grove High School Women’s Chorale under the direction of Benjamin Lebovitz. The Chorale is composed of 16 members, the majority of whom are freshmen and sophomores, ages 14 to 16.
- The program will begin at 6:30 p.m. and is open to all members of TWOQC and to first time guests.
- Members are encouraged to arrive early to make reservations for the Club’s October Membership Luncheon.
- Tickets for the October 31 luncheon are $10 for members and $20 for guests.
If any members accidentally wore their name badges home after the last program you were at please remember to wear them to the September program and turn them in after. Thank you!
Online Member Photo Book
The photos will appear as a page on our website in alphabetical order with only your name and no further identifying information. We hope this will help our growing membership become better acquainted and also help some of our aging memories!
Benefit Concert for Scholarships
Mark your calendars for November 5 at 4 p.m. for a concert of patriotic music featuring the Gatekeepers.
- All TWOQC proceeds will go towards funding 2017 scholarships for female Walden Grove and Sahuarita High Schools.
- The concert will be held at the Sahuarita Unified School District Auditorium, 350 W. Sahuarita Road.
- Tickets are $10 each or $20 for a family.
- CORRECTION from previous posting: To purchase concert tickets, please contact Pat (520) 625-4476. Checks payable to: SEEF. Online ticket sales will be available Sept. 19. GO TO: sites.google.com/a/sahuarita.net/seef/in-memory-of-amy-hill.
As part of Veterans Appreciation week, there will also be a basketball game at Sahuarita High School on Thursday, November 10 starting at 6:00 p.m.
- The game will pit students from Sahuarita and Walden Grove high schools against faculty members from both schools.
- Tickets are $3 for seniors over 65, active and retired military and $5 for those under 65.
- We will be selling tickets for both events in the lobby starting at 5:00 p.m. on Monday, September 26.
- Cash or checks only please.
Prior to the concert, we are having a Silent Auction to generate more funds for the 2017 scholarship program and are looking for donations. Suggestions include spa items, food items or cookbooks for a Gourmet Food Basket, craft items of all sorts, gift cards to local stores. Because the concert is being held on school property, we cannot have any wine or spirits. Services, e.g., massage, alterations, hair or skin care would make excellent auction items. We would appreciate any donations of red, white or blue ribbon that we can use for bows for the baskets.
All donations can be brought to the program on September 26 or dropped off at Pat Neel’s house, 2306 E. Spurwind at any time before October 19. Pat has a box by the door so you don’t have to worry about whether she is home. When dropping off items, please include your name and address so we can acknowledge your donation. For questions, call Pat at 625-4476.
Blind Veterans Need Some Help
The VA Hospital has a very active blind veterans’ rehabilitation program. For a couple of their crafts programs, they are asking for new wooden clip clothespins. Walmart and the 99-Cent store both have them. They also need new plain white T-Shirts in men’s sizes L, XL, 2X, and 3X and ladies in sizes M and L. If you are able to help, please bring donations to the program on September 26 or drop them at Peggy McGee’s house, 1908 E Longspur Place.
Clothing & Household Goods Drive for Homeless Veterans
Only 4 more weeks to our annual clothing and household goods drive on October 15. Please start searching your drawers and closets for things you no longer use. They are also asking for granola bars and bottled water for the homeless veterans who drop in the VA to get a haircut, do laundry or have medical/dental appointments.
- We will be signing up volunteers to help with the clothing drive at our September 26 program.
- We could definitely use some male volunteers for the heavier boxes and bags.
- Two or three people to direct traffic at Madera starting at 8:30 a.m. on October 15 are also needed. Reflective vests will be provided.
- We also need people to drive the donations to the VA on October 17.
- If you won’t be at the program, please contact Laura Colbert at 625-4033 to sign up for any of the above.
Thanks to all who have donated boxes. We have enough packing boxes now but can still use a few more wardrobe boxes.
VOLUNTEERS – On Thursday, October 13 Laura plans to have a volunteer meeting to go over some of the things that are going to happen at the clothing drive, what the job responsibilities are and the layout for the day. The meeting will begin at 4:00 pm on the patio at the Madera Clubhouse. Please plan to attend if you are signing up to volunteer. Thank you!
Coupons for the National Guard should expire October 10 or later. Coupons destined for overseas should expire August 1 or later. Please, no unclipped coupons, to include those for restaurants.
Thank you to all the ladies that have taken time to make this contribution happen. [PREPPING COUPONS]
We are still in need of a piano player for the fashion show. We are also looking for donations of purple ribbon for bows. Please let Carol Shelton know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help with either of these needs. Fashion Show tickets will go on sale at our holiday luncheon on December 12.
Come to the Tucson airport September 17 by 5:30 a.m. to see the veterans off at the Southwest Airlines area and/or welcome them home Monday, Sept. 19 at 8:00 p.m. This is a very emotional and patriotic opportunity. Let’s show them a ton of support with a great turnout for them! The September Honor Flight flyer can be accessed by clicking this LINK.
Save the Date – UPCOMING EVENTS
♦ October 31 – 11:00 a.m. – TWOQC Membership Luncheon – This annual event provides an opportunity for the Club to report to the membership regarding the current status of the Club as well as sharing plans for the future. It also provides an excellent opportunity for members to be recognized for the hard work and generosity of time and talents they have given to help make TWOQC one of the most active organizations in Quail Creek.
This year’s program will feature Heather Rowe, nighttime TV news anchor for KOLD, Channel 13. Ms. Rowe’s remarks will be preceded by lunch. There will be a no-host bar opening at 10:30 a.m. The initial program and lunch will begin at 11:00 a.m. in the Madera Clubhouse ballroom.
Tickets for the October 31 luncheon are $10 for members and $20 for guests and will be available at the September 26 program of TWOQC.
♦ November 5 – 4:00 p.m. – Mark your calendars for a concert of patriotic music featuring the Gatekeepers. All TWOQC proceeds will go towards funding scholarships for females.
♦ November 14 – 6:30 p.m. – Nutcracker Ballet Selections · Ballet Continental Dance Company
♦ December 12 – 12:30 p.m. – “O Christmas Tree” Holiday Luncheon · Musical Trio: Cyndy Gierada, Ray Herbert, and Robert Lewis