TWOQC will be laying a wreath during the Memorial Day service that begins at 9 AM on May 25 at the Green Valley Mortuary and Cemetery on La Canada.
Thanks to Sandi Beach for making the wreath. You are all invited to the cemetery to pay your respects to those veterans who have gone before us.
The next date to buy tickets for the summer luncheon will be on Thursday, June 11 from 10 AM – noon in the Clubhouse lobby. If you wish to sit with friends at the same table, we recommend that you buy all the tickets together.
- Luncheon date is Monday, June 29th.
- Theme for the day will be American Cowgirls Celebrate the Fourth.
- There will be a photo op with Uncle Sam too.
- The menu will feature a Chicken Salad stuffed tomato with blueberries over mixed greens, roll, and strawberry shortcake for dessert.
- The bar, which opens at 11:30, will offer Prickly Pear margaritas for $4.
- The Ballet Folklorico San Juan will perform authentic Hispanic folk dances dressed in the traditional brightly colored costumes of folklorico.
- Suggested attire is western garb or something patriotic.
MAY 18 MEETING
If you did not make the meeting on May 18 and would like a copy of the handouts for attracting hummingbirds and butterflies to your garden, they are on the website under 2015 May Meeting.
Do you need a Father’s Day gift for your husband—33 Grilling recipes are in the cookbook–or a hostess gift for when you travel back home? Only $15, with all proceeds going to victims of domestic abuse in the local area. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for pick-up.
Someone has donated lots and lots of yarn that will be ideal for making hats, scarves, socks, and gloves for the homeless veterans for when we hold our clothing drive in the fall—date TBD but probably late October or early November. If you missed the meeting on May 18 and would like to get some yarn to get started on knitting projects, please contact me at email@example.com and I will gladly show you what I have.
After four record-breaking months in a row, things started slowing down with our winter residents leaving the area but we still clipped $23,715 in coupons in May, plus I took over $9K in coupons to the National Guard (NG).
- We are just over $1.3M in coupons sent overseas since we started this program in 2010.
- The next coupon clipping party will be on Friday, June 26, at 9 a.m. at the Connell sisters’ house, 539 Ramos Lane.
- You will be finished by noon.
- Please help if you can spare a couple hours.
- Great snacks too thanks to the hostesses.
- For those clipping and sorting coupons at home, expiration date for coupons being sent overseas is May 15 or later.
- Coupons for the National Guard should expire after July 15.
This is a very time-consuming program and Lois and Janet Connell who have been heading the program for the past 3 years have decided they need a break from managing the program though will still help out with reports, if needed. We are looking for someone willing to take over the program. Lois & Janet will train anyone who steps up to fill the role. Or perhaps, ladies from the different QC units would like to take on the project for their unit and then the coupons from the different units would be combined and sent overseas with TWOQC paying the postage. I will continue to take the coupons that expire in the future to the NG. Another option might be to have someone different each month host the clipping party at her house. If you are willing to help, please send Lois Connell an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We received another thank you letter from the VA for the grooming items I took up there last month, as well as a letter from the Food Bank. You can read them at 2015 Thank You Notes or click HERE.
Stay safe on the Memorial Day weekend.