This week’s Friday Morning Message: Jeopardy in July | Online Member Photo Book | Honor Flight | Help YOTO Students Return to School | Veterans Clothing Drive | Scholarship Committee Events | Driver Needed to VA | Upcoming Events
July “JEOPARDY” Program
JEOPARDY is coming to Quail Creek on Monday, July 31 at 6:30 p.m. Six contestants will be chosen to participate to win cash and other prizes. To become a Quail Creek Jeopardy contestant, send a brief introduction of yourself to Kathe Alves, Programs Chair at «email@example.com».
Contestants will be selected the night of the event. The audience will have a chance to win prizes as well. Brush up on Arizona and Quail Creek trivia!
Jeopardy Fun Facts:
- 72.3 Years Old – Answer: What is the median Quail Creek resident age?
- Made Its’ Debut in 2013 – Answer: What are the pickleball courts?
- This Warrior Surrendered in 1886 to General Miles in Peloncillo Mountains – Answer: Who was Geronimo?
- From Mexico to Utah I Meander 800 Miles Through Deserts and Forests – Answer: What is the Arizona Trail?
- 284 days – Answer: What is the average number of sunny days annually in Green Valley?
- AARP Considers It One of the Quirkiest Towns in the USA – Answer: What is Bisbee?
Online Member Photo Book
The Photo Book is growing with nearly 210 photos! New member headshots have been added from the June luncheon. If you are a current (paid through 2017) TWOQC member and would like your headshot included in the online photo book, please come to the monthly program camera-ready or email a headshot photo of yourself (Jpeg format) to the Webmaster at «firstname.lastname@example.org».
The online photo album can be viewed here: «OPEN PHOTO BOOK».
UPDATE: Mystery photo solved! Member Marilyn Burkstrand identified one of our newest members from her headshot for the photo book: Susan Writer. Thank you, Marilyn and “Welcome, Susan”!
Honor Flight #23 – Coming in September
Honor Flight #23 out of Tucson will be honoring 66 WWII, Korean and Vietnam Veterans with an all-expense paid trip to Washington DC to see the WWII and Korean Memorial and the Vietnam Wall built in their honor. The focus is about thanking our veterans for the service and sacrifice they made so many years ago for the freedoms we enjoy today. On the return flight they all have a surprise of mail call – the same kind that kept their spirits alive during the war. These notes and letters are a valuable and tangible keepsake of their trip.
Write letters and notes to “Dear Hero” and write their first name and last initial on the envelope. Please do not seal the envelope due to last-minute changes, and include a few extras “To A Veteran” if you would like. Letters and notes may be delivered to Kay Robinson at 898 N. Kenneth Dr. no later than August 15 or you may bring them to the July program. The letters to the Veterans will be collected at the July 31st TWOQC meeting and sent to the Honor Flight staff to be distributed into each veterans’ mail bag.Thank you for honoring our veterans.
The following name has been added to the «Honor Flight List of Names»: Bill H · Tucson, AZ · Army, Navy, Air Force · Korea, Vietnam WWII
A big thank you to the Quilt Covey that have donated 24 quilts and 26 patriotic fleece blankets for the Honor Flight #23 veterans. Valley Quilt Guild and Desert Hills Lutheran Sewing Bee also contributed lap quilts.
The quilts will be distributed at the August 19th orientation at the Tucson Airport 10-12 and 1-3.
Help YOTO Students Return to School
Are you are wondering whether donations of school supplies to the YOTO Back to School Campaign will benefit local students? The answer is “yes”! YOTO students have been enrolled in both Sahuarita and Walden Grove High Schools in the last two years. A contribution you make may benefit one of those students. For a list of the most needed items «CLICK HERE».
The TWOQC YOTO committee appreciates the generous donations made so far.
Veteran’s Administration Clothing Drive
A big “thank you” to all who came to the informational meeting last week to volunteer your services for this year’s VA Clothing Drive on October 21. A special “thank you” to Angie Werner who has accepted the position of Co-Chair.
Our theme this year is “A Gift of Hope”. That’s exactly what we are trying to do each year is give our veterans some “hope” that someone out there really cares and wants to help them. We are in need of many more volunteers to help support this worthwhile cause. Our efforts impact the lives of many of our homeless veterans on the streets of Tucson.
Come join the team! If you can even help just that day, please contact Laura Colbert at «email@example.com» or 520-625-4033, or speak to Laura at the TWOQC program on Monday, July 31.
Muggy, rainy monsoon season will soon give way to cooler fall days and “October Scholarship Month”. So save the dates for enlightenment and fun. All events will be held in the Madera Crystal Ballroom.
October 9 – the first of three lectures: An Expert Shares the Story of Navajo Rugs at 7:00 p.m. (more info)
October 23 – free talk by Barrio Brewery – The Craft of Microbrewing at 7:00 p.m. (more info)
October 29 – Gala Oktoberfest – pretzels, beer (by Barrio Brewery), a Bavarian band for listening and dancing pleasure, themed dinner buffet, and prizes and surprises round out the evening. Starts at 4:00 p.m. (more info)
There will be opportunities during all three events to show your support for our scholarship efforts.
Driver Needed to Deliver Furniture For Homeless Veterans
The VA has advised that they are no longer able to pick up furniture donations. We have two members who have small sofas to donate. If there is anyone with a pick-up truck who is willing to pick up the items and take them to the VA (Monday to Friday only), please contact Peggy at «firstname.lastname@example.org» or 207-6188.
- July 31 – 6:30 p.m. ::: JEOPARDY! (more info)
- August 28 – 6:30 p.m. ::: Skincare (Rebecca, Continental Spa)
- September 25 – 6:30 p.m. ::: YOTO (Kristyn Connor)
- Oct. 9 – 7:00 p.m. ::: Lecture Series: Navajo Rugs (more info)
- Oct. 21 – 9:00 a.m. ::: Clothing Drive: Homeless Veterans (more info)
- Oct. 23 – 6:00 p.m. ::: Lecture Series: MicroBrewery & Craft Beers
- Oct. 29 – 4:00 p.m. ::: Oktoberfest: Scholarships Fundraiser (more info)
- Oct. 30 – 11:00 a.m. ::: Membership Brunch (Green Valley Big Band)
- Nov. 4 – 9:00 a.m. ::: Fall Festival Arts & Crafts Show (ends: 4pm)
- Nov. 5 – 10:00 a.m. ::: Fall Festival Arts & Crafts Show (ends: 3pm)
- Nov. 13 – 6:30 p.m. ::: Women in American History (Sharon Anderson)
- December 11 – 12:00 p.m. ::: Holiday Luncheon
- 2018: Wednesday, February 7 ::: Fashion Show (Dillard’s apparel)