This week’s Friday Morning Message: Monday Night’s Program, plus: Food Drive, June Luncheon, VA Hospital Donations | Military Families Baby Shower | New Committee Leaders | Honor Flight: Great Success | Upcoming Events
“THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY OF DESIGNING CACTI CONTAINERS”
Please join us in the Madera Clubhouse Crystal Ballroom for our program and a demonstration by “Earth Angels,” Francesca Schelenski and Kathy Stone.
This is your chance to learn how to create beautiful cacti containers for your home and patio.
FOOD DRIVE: MONDAY NIGHT!
We will be collecting items for the Green Valley Food Bank at Monday’s program.
- Please consider bringing donations of non-perishable groceries, cleaning supplies, and paper and hygiene products.
- Especially needed are cereals, juice packs, dried fruit, and Pop-Tarts since children who normally rely on free breakfast and lunch at school will be home for their meals during the summer.
- Look for the bins outside the ballroom door.
- Cash/check and gift card donations are also always appreciated.
- For a credit card donation, please contact the Green Valley Food Bank directly (625-5252).
Thanks for your support.
BUY YOUR JUNE LUNCHEON SEATS MONDAY NIGHT
Please remember to bring your checkbook on Monday night as Janice Messer will be selling seats for our fun “A Wee Bit Irish” June 25th luncheon. Join your friends and prepare to be wowed by a presentation from a nationally award-winning Irish dance troupe, the Celtic Steps. Seats are $20/member and $25/non-members. Lunch will be a chicken-salad stuffed tomato and the bar will be open!
There will be a table in the back of the ballroom for VA hospital donations.
- Men’s underwear (especially in small and medium sizes) and socks are especially needed. These items MUST be new.
- Leftover paper plates, napkins, cups and utensils from Cinco de Mayo parties, as well as snack foods always bring smiles.
Please do not leave donations for winter weight clothing at Laura Colbert’s or Peggy McGee’s homes. Neither they nor the VA have storage for winter clothing. Please keep these items until the October 20th VA Clothing Drive here in Quail Creek.
The Baby Shower at the 162nd Air National Guard is tomorrow, May 19, and all the “goodies” have been packed in mom’s bags, diaper bags, laundry baskets and grouped into raffle prizes for the military families.
We want to thank all of our TWOQC members, Quail Creek residents and others who have donated time, merchandise, diapers, wipes and money to make this event spectacular. These families are overwhelmed and overjoyed by the things they receive. Baby shower prep photos may be accessed via this photo album link, compliments of Eileen Sykora, club photographer. Check the link later next week for pictures of the event.
Please join me in celebrating and welcoming our newest Committee Chairpersons for 2018/2019! Mark your calendars for these very important dates.
VA CLOTHING DRIVE: October 20th
Welcome Karen Johnson and Anne Smith!
Not only are they best friends, they are now a solid co-chairperson team for the VA Clothing Drive taking place on October 20th, 2018.
These two have jumped right in and are running with great ideas and a fantastic committee behind them.
2019 FASHION SHOW: February 25th
Welcome Lisa Johnson!
Lisa is a new TWOQC member and wanted a project that would be challenging yet rewarding for her first endeavor.
We asked her to Chair the 2019 Fashion Show. She has met with Ginny Hutcheson and Carol Shelton (Relay for Life team) and is busy with early planning of the event. Watch in the coming weeks for announcements from Lisa.
Twenty-three WWII and Korean War veterans were greeted with cheers from approximately 250 people when they returned from Washington, DC on Monday evening May 14th.
Thanks to all who wrote letters thanking the veterans for their service. Many will be read over and over again with fond memories of the trip.
Karen Baker, one of the TWOQC liaisons with the Tucson Honor Flight program, was among the Quail Creek residents who greeted the returning veterans. (Photo: Peggy McGee)
(♦) public event
- June 25 – 11:30 a.m.→Summer Luncheon “A Wee Bit Irish”
- July 30 – 6:30 p.m.→Making New Fashions from Found Clothing
- Aug. 27 – 6:30 p.m.→Makeup for Baby Boomers & Beyond
- Sept. 24 – 6:30 p.m.→Giving Your Home a Makeover
- Oct. 14→Oktoberfest (♦)
- Oct. 20→Clothing Drive (♦)
- Oct. 29→Membership Brunch
- Nov. 12→”Getting Holiday Ready” Ladies Night Out
- Dec. 10→Holiday Luncheon
“Thank you” to this week’s FMM contributors: Peggy McGee, Janice Messer, Carol Mutter, Diane Quinn, Kay Robinson, and Angie Werner.