A Message from Pat
If you are a snowbird or a local resident on vacation, please know that our monsoon season has arrived. The weather is steamy and the rains have been excellent for several days. It is the perfect weather for my indoor hobbies, which include browsing through cookbooks like TWOQC’s ‘A Shared Table’. I found two hot weather recipes that I plan to try and want to share them with you (see below). If you have a special recipe, please pass it on. From time to time we will post them. To our locals, stay cool and enjoy this unlikely desert climate.
NEEDED – SCHOOL SUCCESS KITS!
Did you know backpacks are on sale at Costco this month? Thanks to early school starting dates, supplies are showing up in all the stores and sales are starting early. So, it’s time to engage in retail therapy and help a good cause, too.
YOTO served over 1700 students in the last school year, an 8% increase from the previous year. Those numbers will likely increase in this next year so the need for supplies is great. Bring your contributions to the clubhouse M-F 8-4 or bring them to Diane Quinn’s home, 2276 E. Skywalker Way anytime. The list of most needed supplies is HERE.
Not wanting to shop in this heat? You can write a check made out to YOTO and leave it with Diane, too.
Cheers and welcome to our two newest members, Jeannette Jarmin and Kristi Lane. They have hoisted our totals to 325 strong.
Angie Werner, Membership Chair is cordially inviting new members to attend The Women of Quail Creek Summertime Wine and Cheese Get Together. If you have not attended a New Member Welcome Party and have joined in 2017 or 2018 we’d love to have you join us. Thursday, August 2 from 1:00-2:30 is the date of our gathering.
This is an opportunity to learn more about The Women of Quail Creek and its various projects from our Board and Committee Chairs. And, it is a great way to get to know other new members in a small casual setting.
Non-alcoholic beverages will also be served.
Please respond to email@example.com (or 402-309-5467) by July 19 if you would like to attend this event.
Home of Angie Werner, Membership Chair
1924 E Orinda Lane
WENDY’S GREEN SALAD AND DRESSING (p. 44, provided by Janice Pell)
NOTE: This recipe was given to Janice by a lady who had a fresh fruit and vegetable stand near where they lived in California.
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 2 T. cider vinegar
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped or 1 T. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. salt
- Dash Tabasco, optional
Mix brown sugar, vinegar, oil, parsley, salt, and Tabasco in container with tight fitting lid. Shake. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- ½ head iceberg lettuce
- 1 c. green onion, chopped
- ¾ c. celery chopped
- 1 (11oz.) can Mandarin oranges, drained
- ½ c. whole or slivered honeyed almonds and macadamia nuts (any proportion preferred)
Tear lettuce in bite sized pieces. Mix lettuce, green onions and celery in a large bowl. Cover and let stand in refrigerator overnight to mix flavors. Add dressing, nuts and Mandarin oranges just before serving.
SLOW COOKER LOW CALORIE APPLE DESSERT (p. 139, provided by Jo-Anne Spencer)
- 8 c. apples (Fuji or Gala), sliced
- 1 T. lemon juice
- ¼ c brown sugar (not packed)
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 c. old fashioned oats
- ½ c. light whipped topping
Spray crockpot with nonstick spray. Place apples in slow cooker. Add lemon juice and toss to coat. Add brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt; toss to coat. Evenly top apples with oats. Cover and cook on low 4 hours; allow to cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon whipped topping. Serves 8.
If you have small to medium sized boxes (approximately 16” x 12”), we are eagerly collecting them now for donated items at the annual TWOQC Homeless Veterans’ Clothing Drive, October 20th. We will gladly pick up your flattened boxes for storage until the event.
To donate boxes, please call our volunteer at (520) 625-9353. Thanks for helping out!
(♦) public event
- July 30 – 6:30 p.m.→Making New Fashions from Found Clothing
- Aug. 27 – 6:30 p.m.→From Good to Gorgeous: Skincare and Makeup Tips & Techniques for Women 50+
- Sept. 22-24→Honor Flight (details in FMM) (♦)
- Sept. 24 – 6:30 p.m.→Creative Tips to Refresh and Redecorate Your Home Tastefully
- Oct. 14→Oktoberfest for Scholarships (♦)
- Oct. 20→Clothing Drive for Homeless Veterans (♦)
- Oct. 27-29→Honor Flight (details in FMM) (♦)
- Oct. 29→Membership Fiesta Luncheon with Mariachi Aztlan
- Oct. 29 – 7 p.m.→Lecture: From Tucson to the Top of Everest: Dr. John Klein’s Odyssey (♦)
- Nov. 12→“Getting Holiday Ready” Ladies Night Out
- Dec. 10→Holiday Luncheon
- Jan. 14 – 7 p.m.→Lecture: Ranger of the Lost Art: Rediscovered WPA National Park Posters (♦)
- Jan. 28 – 10 a.m.→Empowering Women & Girls: Collaborating for Success
- Feb. 25→American Cancer Society Fashion Show (♦)
- Mar. 4 – 7 p.m.→Fabulous Fliers: The Birds of Madera Canyon and the Santa Rita’s (♦)
“Thank you” to this week’s FMM contributors: Diane Quinn and Angie Werner.