This week’s Friday Morning Message: Mark Your Calendar, Get Your Tickets | Honor Flight | YOTO | Clothing Drive | Oktoberfest Gala | 2018 Fashion Show | Car Wash Supporting Naval JROTC | Upcoming Events
MARK YOUR CALENDAR… GET YOUR TICKETS
AUGUST PROGRAM: TWOQC’s August program is scheduled for Monday, the 28 at 6:30 p.m. at the Madera Clubhouse. Rebecca Willer from Continental Spa will give skincare tips on “How to Naturally Look and Feel Younger”. Come and learn how to take great care of your skin.
GET YOUR TICKETS: Plan to purchase your tickets at the August program for the:
♦ «October Membership Brunch» scheduled for Monday, October 30 at 11:00 a.m. ($10/members or $20/first-time guests)
♦ Oktoberfest Scholarship fundraiser on Sunday, October 29 ($30 per person). The Oktoberfest is open to the public. Everyone is invited (spouses and friends from anywhere and everywhere).
SEPTEMBER PROGRAM: On Monday, September 25 at 6:30 p.m., Daniel Armenta from YOTO will be here to talk about one of our favorite charities.
The TWOQC members and others in the community have written 1,211 letters to the veterans that will be on the September 2nd Honor Flight #23. They have also included letters and notes to the guardians and flight staff. This is such a blessing to those traveling back from a memorable experience in Washington DC. The letters will bring tears to those who thought they had been forgotten. They will treasure and reread each one.
We have collected enough quilts to be presented at the orientation before the flight as a token of appreciation for their service. Someone also donated patriotic cup holders that will also be given at the orientation.
We have many loving and generous members in our community.
MULTIPLE WAYS TO SUPPORT YOTO
There are so many ways you can help support Youth On Their Own. If you are still gathering school supplies, please drop them off at the bin in the clubhouse. We will deliver them to YOTO. If you would rather contribute non-perishable food or full-size personal hygiene products, you may drop them off at Diane Quinn’s home, 2276 E. Skywalker Way (map) and leave them in the bin at her door. If you have a recipe that we can add to the YOTO student cookbook, send it to «email@example.com».
Questions about how to help YOTO? Contact Diane at «firstname.lastname@example.org».
CLOTHING DRIVE FOR HOMELESS VETERANS NEEDS YOU!
Preparations for the «VA Clothing Drive» are moving along, however we are still in need of more volunteers to come join our team.
If you can help us out on Saturday, October 21 for about three hours please contact Laura Colbert at «email@example.com» or (520) 625-4033.
The birds are all a twitter and so is the Scholarship Committee about the upcoming events for the October Scholarship Fundraiser.
August 28 will be your opportunity to purchase tickets for the «Oktoberfest» to be held on October 29 at 4 p.m.
- There will be a yummy buffet with German themed foods, music for listening and dancing and, of course, pretzels and beer.
- Tickets are $30 per person. Checks should be made payable to: TWOQC Charity Account.
- Those wishing to sit with friends at tables of ten should purchase tickets together.
- To expedite ticket purchase, please bring a typed or printed list of names if you are buying multiple tickets.
Both large and small baskets are needed for the raffle to be held during Oktoberfest. Please bring baskets to the program on August 28 and place them on the Scholarship table at rear of the ballroom. If you are not attending the program, baskets may be delivered to the home of Marilyn Beim, 595 N. Yucca Butte Lane. «map»
2018 FASHION SHOW: The Colors of Cancer
GOLD represents skin cancer. Did you know that each year 3 million people are diagnosed with skin cancer and 8 million are diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma? Gaining an early detection is vital and again the risk rises as we age.
BLACK represents the color for melanoma. Please check your skin often. Have your doctor check any spots on your regular visits. The A–B–C–D–E‘s are an important way to assess certain marks on your skin:
- Color change
- Diameter (any mole or skin lesion that is larger than a standard pencil eraser indicates possible skin cancer)
- Evolution of the mole
We are in need of additional volunteers for the Fashion Show on February 7, 2018 to help make «The Colors of Cancer» a huge success. If interested and available, please e-mail «firstname.lastname@example.org».
CAR WASH SUPPORTING NAVAL JROTC
Thanks to all who supported the Sahuarita High School Naval JROTC car wash on August 12. About 75 cadets scrubbed cars in an attempt to get off all the monsoon related splashes. One member reported that the cadets were able to remove the mud that built up when she drove through a muddy wash that the commercial facility missed. The funds donated will go towards uniform accessories, competition fees, and providing water during the warm weather months for outside activities.
- August 28 – 6:30 p.m. ::: How to Naturally Look & Feel Younger (Rebecca, Continental Spa)
- September 25 – 6:30 p.m. ::: YOTO (Daniel Armenta)
- Oct. 9 – 7:00 p.m. ::: Lecture Series: Navajo Rugs (more info)
- Oct. 21 – 9:00 a.m. ::: Clothing Drive: Homeless Veterans (more info)
- Oct. 23 – 7:00 p.m. ::: Lecture Series: MicroBrewery & Craft Beers
- Oct. 29 – 4:00 p.m. ::: Oktoberfest: Scholarships Fundraiser (more info)
- Oct. 30 – 11:00 a.m. ::: Membership Brunch (Green Valley Big Band)
- Nov. 4 – 9:00 a.m. ::: Fall Festival Arts & Crafts Show (ends: 4pm)
- Nov. 5 – 10:00 a.m. ::: Fall Festival Arts & Crafts Show (ends: 3pm)
- Nov. 13 – 6:30 p.m. ::: Women in American History (Sharon Anderson)
- December 11 – 12:00 p.m. ::: Holiday Luncheon (YOTO holiday gift bags)
- 2018: Wednesday, February 7 ::: Fashion Show (Dillard’s apparel)