This week’s Friday Morning Message: ◊TWOQC & Cool Car Club Event on Sunday | ◊Celebrate Scholarship Winners at April 30th Program | ◊Military Baby Shower | ◊Honor Flight in May | ◊Update on YOTO | ◊ Veteran’s Support Group | ◊Upcoming Events
On Sunday, April 8, from 11:00-3:00 in the Clubhouse parking lot come see cool cars, enjoy a yummy lunch and purchase raffle tickets (hopefully winning ones) at the Quail Creek Car Show. All proceeds from the ticket sales will go to Hands of a Friend, Genesis House, a local shelter for abused women and children. During the show we’ll also be collecting donations for Genesis House:
- paper towels
- toilet paper
- 15 and 30-gallon garbage bags
Raffle Tickets! Win a 2018 Jeep! There will be a 50/50 raffle along with other prizes including the chance to win a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Summit sponsored by Jim Click Chrysler-Jeep. Hey, how cool would that be? Reminder: All raffle tickets are cash or check only.
Please mark your calendars and plan to attend our monthly program for April when we will be introducing the Scholarship winners! The winners and their families will be in attendance and would like to meet everyone who has worked so hard to support the Scholarship Program for 2018.
Our program in April is open to the entire Quail Creek community and will be held in the Crystal Ballroom at the Madera Clubhouse at 6:30 p.m.
Only 6 weeks until the Shower!
With only 6 weeks until the big event for 2018, the Baby Shower Committee is working furiously behind the scenes making sure all is perfect for the military families.
We could still use your help. We are looking for donations of: baby wipes, baby powder, outfits and onesies (both in sizes 3 months to 12 months). Even a single outfit or pack of diapers will make a difference. If you wish to donate but cannot decide what to purchase, a donation of cash or a check (payable to: TWOQC Charity Account) would be most welcomed. The committee “shoppers” will put it to good use.
The 29 families (30 babies — yes, a set of twins!) are excitedly anticipating this event. So far, we know there are 14 boys, 9 girls and 7 gender unknown who will be benefiting from your generosity. Questions? Please contact Kathi Krieg at (209) 402-7606.
May 12th is the send-off date of the 24th Honor Flight from Tucson to Washington DC for WWII, Korean and Vietnam veterans to see the War Memorials.
- Residents of Quail Creek are asked to write letters to the veterans traveling on this flight.
- This is the current list of names however since the list of participants may change right up until the date of the flight, the Honor Flight Team is requesting that letters be addressed “to a Vet.”
- The letters distributed during “mail call” (it’s a secret) on the return trip are very meaningful and a blessing to the Veterans.
- Please consider writing and include a message thanking them for their service.
- The letters must be delivered by April 30th to Kay Robinson (520) 495-4173, (898 N. Kenneth Drive).
Approximately every 90 seconds a WWII veteran dies, which means most will never have the opportunity to see the Memorials dedicated to them. Your thoughtfulness will make a difference.
Please also consider coming to the Tucson Airport on May 12 by 4:00 a.m. to see the veterans off (American Airlines area) or on Monday, May 14 at 8:00 p.m. to welcome them home. This is a very emotional and patriotic opportunity.
Several members of TWOQC attended “Family is YOU”, the Spring Luncheon of Youth on Their Own. Carol Lord, Diane Quinn, Jeanne Stevens, Sue Ann Obremski, Cindy Hogg, and Christy Caldwell were given the opportunity to speak with one of YOTO’s school liaisons. They also met YOTO students who shared what being participants in YOTO means to them.
YOTO is currently serving over 1,700 students throughout Pima County. Of the 275 YOTO participants who graduated from high school last year, 76% planned to start postsecondary education.
TWOQC’s YOTO committee hopes to work with organizations throughout Green Valley and Sahuarita to spread the word about ways to support YOTO’s many needs. If you know of an organization outside of Quail Creek that might be interested in helping YOTO, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Photo credit: Diane Quinn)
The VA Homeless Program is in need of the following items for homeless veterans:
- Small and medium-sized underwear (new only, in unopened store packaging)
- White t-shirts in sizes: medium, large and XL
Needed all the time:
- Socks (new only)
- Jeans (men’s sizes 32-34)
- Tennis shoes (men’s sizes 10-13)
Until further notice, please drop your donations at Laura Colbert’s house (2040 E Cypress Canyon Drive).
Thank you for your great support of the Veterans.
(♦) public event
- Apr. 30 – 6:30 p.m.→Celebrating Our Scholarship Winners
- May 12 – 4-5:15am→Honor Flight departs TIA (♦)
- May 14 – 7:30-8:30pm→Honor Flight arrives TIA (♦)
- May 19→Military Baby Shower (attendance open to committee members only)
- May 21 – 6:30 p.m.→The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly of Designing Cacti Containers
- June 25→Summer Luncheon “A Wee Bit Irish”
- July 30 – 6:30 p.m.→Making New Fashions from Found Clothing
- Aug. 27 – 6:30 p.m.→Makeup for Baby Boomers & Beyond
- Sept. 24 – 6:30 p.m.→Giving Your Home a Makeover
- Oct. 14→Oktoberfest (♦)
- Oct. 20→Clothing Drive (♦)
- Oct. 29→Membership Brunch
- Nov. 12→”Getting Holiday Ready” Ladies Night Out
- Dec. 10→Holiday Luncheon
- Print the Schedule of Events
- Check the Calendar of Events for committee meetings, events reservation dates, ticket selling dates, & other deadlines
- Events/Notices will have event details (when available)
- Programs & events (topics, dates, & times) are subject to change.
- Questions? Contact the Diane Quinn, Programs Chair at email@example.com.
“Thank you” to this week’s FMM contributors: Laura Colbert, Diane Quinn, Kay Robinson, and Angie Werner.