This week’s Friday Morning Message: ◊Scholarship Presentations: April 30 | ◊Spring Honor Flight in May | ◊Military Baby Shower: 5 Weeks Away | ◊YOTO Could Use Your Help | ◊QC Cool Car Club Fundraiser Results Are In | ◊ Member Spotlight | ◊Upcoming Events
Please plan on joining us at the April TWOQC Monthly Program on April 30 at 6:30 p.m. as we celebrate and introduce the four winners of the 2018 TWOQC Scholarships. Two scholarships will be presented to high school seniors for their post-secondary education, and two scholarships will go to young adult women who are in transition and want to upgrade their education for a brighter future. All of the scholarship winners and their families will be in attendance. A slideshow of past scholarship winners and guest speakers will round out the evening.
May 12th is the send-off date of the 24th Honor Flight from Tucson to Washington DC for WWII, Korean and Vietnam veterans to see the War Memorials.
- Residents of Quail Creek are asked to write letters to the veterans traveling on this flight.
- This is the current list of names however since the list of participants may change right up until the date of the flight, the Honor Flight Team is requesting that letters be addressed “to a Vet.”
- The letters distributed during “mail call” (it’s a secret) on the return trip are very meaningful and a blessing to the Veterans.
- Please consider writing and include a message thanking them for their service.
- The letters must be delivered by April 30th to Kay Robinson (520) 495-4173, (898 N. Kenneth Drive).
Approximately every 90 seconds a WWII veteran dies, which means most will never have the opportunity to see the Memorials dedicated to them. Your thoughtfulness will make a difference.
Please also consider coming to the Tucson Airport on May 12 by 4:00 a.m. to see the veterans off (American Airlines area) or on Monday, May 14 at 8:00 p.m. to welcome them home. This is a very emotional and patriotic opportunity.
Only 5 weeks ’til the event! The next Baby Shower committee meeting is this Wednesday April 18th at 10:00 a.m. in the Kino Conference Room. (Note: Committee members only going forward as the planning stages are finished and now the final touches are being decided on.)
We are holding steady with 30 babies (14 boys, 9 girls and 7 unknown gender). With a little over a month to go, there is still plenty of time to donate to this wonderful fun-filled event. We still need baby wipes, baby wash, baby powder, pacifiers (in store package), and, as always, new baby clothing including outfits and onesies are much appreciated.
If you cannot decide what to donate, a cash or check donation (checks made out to TWOQC Charity-Baby Shower) can be dropped off at the Madera Clubhouse Concierge Desk during regular business hours. Our baby shower shoppers will use your monetary contribution to purchase the final items needed.
Please call Kathi Krieg at (209) 402-7606 or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Thank you all for your continued support of Youth On Their Own. This is the time of year when contributions to YOTO’s mini-mall become harder to come by.
If you have non-perishable food items or full sized personal care products to contribute you may drop them in the bin at Sue Obremski’s home (531 N. Keyes Road). A listing of the most frequently needed items can be found at yoto.org.
The QC Cool Car Club paired with TWOQC for last Sunday’s Car Show benefiting Hands of a Friend. Through the efforts of both clubs, $8,189 was raised to help the abused women and children of Genesis House. Also, $1,500 worth of paper towels, toilet paper, Kleenex and garbage bags were collected to be used at Genesis House.
The Car Club would like to recognize the special efforts of the following women (many of whom are members of both clubs) who made the Car Show fun and highly successful:
Sandi Beach, Barb Bird, Deborah Bryant, Suzan Bryceland, Celeste (& husband, Cooper) Eastman, Louise Engstrom, Sylvia Forehand, Jeanne Foster, Amy (& husband, Dennis) Giannakakis, Tessie Hagerich, BJ Hanks, Nancy Jacobs, Kathi Krieg, Sharon Krueger, Nancy Mann, Carol Mutter, Carol Shelton (Car Show Committee), and Deb Speer.
Check out the Photo Album of pictures that encompass the event. (Photos: Eileen Sykora, Jeff Krueger)
Peggy McGee and her husband, John, moved full-time to Quail Creek from the Washington DC area in April 2005, just 3 weeks after they both retired on April Fool’s Day. Peggy does not miss the humidity, traffic or snow.
Between working for the VA where Peggy was Director of Communications Management and her military duties as a member of the Army Reserve (from which she retired in the rank of Colonel), Peggy rarely had time to volunteer. However, that soon changed as she threw herself into helping several organizations in the local area. First it was her church, then TWOQC for which she was secretary for 2 years, President for 6 ½ years, on the Program Committee for 9 years (where she still serves today), and most recently serves on the Scholarship Committee. Peggy volunteers as a budget counselor at Valley Assistance Services, is Treasurer and Public Affairs Officer for both the Community Emergency Response Team and the Military Officers Association. She does the publicity for the Lady Putters and has prepared income taxes, as an AARP volunteer, for the past 12 years.
Peggy does try to take care of herself as can be verified by those who have seen her walking the loop on an almost daily basis. She and John like to travel and the more unusual the location, the more likely Peggy has been there — including two trips to Antarctica. Peggy finds it very hard to say “no” when someone asks for help. Asked when does she sleep? Her answer, “Sometimes!”
(♦) public event
- Apr. 30 – 6:30 p.m.→Celebrating Our Scholarship Winners
- May 12 – 4-5:15am→Honor Flight departs TIA (♦)
- May 14 – 7:30-8:30pm→Honor Flight arrives TIA (♦)
- May 19→Military Baby Shower (attendance open to committee members only)
- May 21 – 6:30 p.m.→The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly of Designing Cacti Containers
- June 25→Summer Luncheon “A Wee Bit Irish”
- July 30 – 6:30 p.m.→Making New Fashions from Found Clothing
- Aug. 27 – 6:30 p.m.→Makeup for Baby Boomers & Beyond
- Sept. 24 – 6:30 p.m.→Giving Your Home a Makeover
- Oct. 14→Oktoberfest (♦)
- Oct. 20→Clothing Drive (♦)
- Oct. 29→Membership Brunch
- Nov. 12→”Getting Holiday Ready” Ladies Night Out
- Dec. 10→Holiday Luncheon
- Print the Schedule of Events
- Check the Calendar of Events for committee meetings, events reservation dates, ticket selling dates, & other deadlines
- Events/Notices will have event details (when available)
- Programs & events (topics, dates, & times) are subject to change.
- Questions? Contact the Diane Quinn, Programs Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Thank you” to this week’s FMM contributors: Suzan Bryceland, Yasmin John-Thorpe, Carol Mutter, Diane Quinn, Kay Robinson, and Angie Werner.
Note: Graphics and links in previous FMM’s may be removed if information is no longer pertinent or (if graphics) become unavailable.