March 12, 2021
- Message from the President
- Publicity Volunteers
- Programs, Programs, Programs
- Community Connections
- Save these Dates
Message from the President
Spring is coming quickly and excitement is growing for life returning to normal. The Executive Board is working diligently to plan exciting programs and events. We always need lots of members to volunteer to help with our funding and giving plans, providing small group programs, and many other opportunities. Make sure you’ve signed up for GroupWorks to receive notifications of our events.
Deb Melton, Director of Publicity, is looking for 2-3 members to work with her team chronicling our small group activities and other TWOQC events. If you enjoy writing or are creative, please contact Deb for details (email@example.com).
Programs, Programs, Programs
- On Tuesday, March 2nd Becky Ashin taught a full class of enthusiastic weavers how to make their own baskets. Those who participated were thrilled to be introduced to this art form and to take their creations home. With a full waitlist for this event, Becky says that she will definitely organize another class in the near future. Stay tuned! PHOTOS
- Nick Pulcinella shared bird photos, recordings, and information in a presentation titled, “The Birds of Quail Creek.” Forty-one members registered for this March 4th Zoom program. Nick’s photos can be viewed via the link on the Programs page of our website. There are also instructions for accessing the bird recordings. More bird-related events will be coming up. PHOTOS SLIDESHOW
- Janet Rumford hosted another rock-painting event on her patio on March 11th. Her classes have filled up every time she has offered them, with waiting lists of members who would like to get in on the fun. Thank you Janet for sharing your time and talent so generously! PHOTOS
This event has been rescheduled to April 6th! With the advent of GroupWorks, members are finding it easier than ever to make reservations for events that interest them. The advertised hike with Pat Neel to the Santa Rita Experimental Range filled within hours and promises to be both enjoyable and educational. Judging by the long waitlist, there is a lot of interest in this type of outing, and we hope to schedule more in the coming months before the heat sets in.
The next hiking opportunity is on Thursday, March 18th with Doug and Dinah Shumway, who will be leading a “Helvetia Adventure” to view the remains of this fascinating deserted mining settlement, see the petroglyphs there, and learn about rocks, geologic time, and minerals of the area. This hike is not recommended for those with mobility issues. Details may be found on GroupWorks. Masks are mandatory. This event just filled and there is a waitlist started.
The Trivia Challenge returns on Monday, March 22nd at 3 pm. Please join us for a little brain-teasing, camaraderie, and fun! Who will be this month’s Trivia Champs?
If you’ve never been to Desert Meadows Park, you are missing out on Green Valley’s crown jewel, but now is your chance to remedy that! On Thursday, March 25th, Project Coordinator Chuck Parsons will meet our group for a tour of the various garden areas within the park. The Barrio Garden will be reserved for a bag lunch afterward for those who are interested. This tour is limited to 5 people and the leader. Masks are mandatory.
Would you like to know more about how to boost your energy and immunity, reduce stress, and get a better night’s sleep? Register for Mary Brooks’ Zoom presentation on March 30th. Mary is a health coach with a Master’s degree in health education. Her area of expertise is functional nutrition, and she will be focusing on how your “inputs” affect your “outputs.” Don’t miss this one!
Members: Login to GroupWorks for up-to-the-minute (and NEW) members-only program and event postings.
Would you be willing to host a small group event?
Don’t underestimate what you have to offer! What may seem like something “simple” to you may be totally new to others. We would love to hear from you! You can choose your date. Small groups are limited to 5 in an outdoor (patio) setting plus the instructor. Send an e-mail to Sharon Pulcinella (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to share your hobby or interest with others.
Did you attend one of our recent past events? Here are photo albums for small-group and on-the-go excursions (when available). The program handouts page is where you may view and download some of our Zoom’d presentations.
COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – Are you looking for ways to volunteer in our local community? You will find many local opportunities through the Green Valley and Sahuarita Volunteer Clearinghouse. To get regular updates, you can sign up for their on-line newsletter. gvsvolunteering.org.
VA DONATIONS – The VA is once again accepting calendars in both wall and pocket styles. However, they are still not accepting greeting cards or note cards at this time. Donations of unopened hygiene and dental supplies are always needed.
Please take calendars and toiletries to Peggy McGee’s house, 1908 E Longspur Place by March 17. She will take them to the VA on the 18th.
SAVE THESE DATES
- Mar. 25 – 10:30 AM Desert Meadows Park Tour
- Mar. 26 – 1 PM Book Group News with Crystal Wolfe (Zoom) NEW
- Mar. 30 – 10 AM Presentation by Mary Brooks, Health Coach/Nutritionist (Zoom)
- Mar. 31 – 11 AM Attention All Gardeners (Zoom) NEW
- April 1 – 9 AM to 12 PM Beginner Pickleball with Shireen NEW
- April 6 – 10 AM Hiking Excursion: Santa Rita Experimental Range with Pat Neel (On-the-Go) NEW DATE! (previously March 16)
- May 4 – 1 PM Beloved Childhood Books with Cindy Hogg NEW
Programs & Events (topics, locations, dates, & times) are subject to change. Members are encouraged to check Groupworks.com for up-to-date (& NEW) information. Program/event questions: email@example.com. Scheduling questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FMM CONTRIBUTORS: Becky A. (president); Barb H. (community); Deb M. (publicity); Sharon P. (programs).
PUBLISHING TEAM: President, Webmaster, and Publicity Director.